I REALLY didn't want to potty train her yet since she was only 22 months old, but a few months before this I kept finding her naked in her crib, naked in the bathroom, and saying "potty" all day long. I even found her sitting on the toilet by herself on many occasions. I would come into the bathroom (thinking that she was probably playing in the toilet water) and there she would be sitting on the toilet with no clothes on and pretending to go potty. About a month or two later, I finally decided that I probably should get serious about it and see how it goes. I gave her 3 days. I knew that if she didn't understand very much in 3 days then I would just put it off for another few months. I was in no rush to potty train this little girl because I just wasn't quite ready for her to grow up. Plus- I never really looked forward to potty training. It sounded gross and messy. But at the same time, I thought "wouldn't that be cool if we didn't have to buy diapers until the next time we have another kid?" So.. there was my motivation!
Day 1: I think she probably sat on that toilet all day long and somehow managed to miss the toilet every single time time that day. I cleaned up mess after mess all day long.
Day 2: made it to the toilet only 2 times! Still cleaned up messes all day! I was almost losing hope, so those 2 times really were all that motivated me for the next day.
Day 3: She went 6 times in the potty! Still missed a few times, but I could see the light switch turning on. So we kept with it...
Day 4: She Made it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
I was such a proud Momma! I couldn't believe my own eyes. I had actually made it through potty training. I was so excited and so was she!!
Some of the things that worked best for her were these: Put a dolly on a toilet and pretend like she is peeing (I squeezed a rubber ducky behind the doll to make it look like the dolly was going). She thought that was hilarious. Sometimes I would tell her I was getting her prize and walk out the door and stand there listening. For some reason she would go better and quicker if I left her some privacy (I think she got a little pee shy).
Giving her stickers, treats, vitamins, and fruit snacks were awesome awards for her. She loved getting rewarded for going in the toilet.
(She knows how to get to EVERYTHING these days).
Now that she is potty trained at home and a few quick errands that don't distract her... She needs some help with the times when she does get distracted or when we are out running errands for a few hours. We are not quite perfect there. Anytime she is playing at the park with her friends or cousins, or just being around them she doesn't tell me she needs to go. Or if we are at the store and she gets involved in her own world in the cart, she just squats and goes! It is SO embarrassing when I see the drips of urine trinkeling through the cart. We need some motivation there. But I guess I can't expect her to be perfect at it right away. It is actually a little funny to see her do it because she just looks at me WHILE she is going and says "I sorry???"
Oh well...At least she is a Champ at home!! I am sure she will figure the other part out soon.... I hope!

2 comments:
go you! I think it is great that she is potty trained and I enjoyed reading your post because I am about to start with Bailey! Good job mama!
What a big girl! Anabelle is still trying to master potty training. So way to go! She's such a cutie.
Post a Comment