Sunday, January 8, 2012

A New Year And A Time To Be Grateful

Tomorrow is the first day of my LAST semester at Utah State University! Can this possibly be true? I have been looking forward to this time since 2005, when I graduated High School. I feel like it has been a rough, long road with many stops and detours that I've had to make.

 But when I look back at the last 5 years, I feel so blessed and so accomplished- and then I remember why it is worth it to me to finish strong. I definitely DO NOT look down apon those people who didn't finish or go to college by any means. To be honest- if I wasn't so close to graduating when I had Hailee, I probably wouldn't go back for many years. And if I didn't have the grants to help me pay for school- I definitely would not be going. There have been so many days where I have looked at stay at home mom's and think "I just want that. I just want to be home all day and have a good schedule with Hailee and with cleaning and such." I envy those mom's who can do crafts and still have time for their other responsibilities. (maybe you mom's dont- but you pull it off like you can :) Don't get me wrong- I totally do crafts still, but my grades get affected and I end up neglecting many of my household responsibilities. Including this...                                             (she gets so bored of me sometimes)
I just dream of the day that I won't have to worry about school anymore. I have about 4 more months of this school and then BIG things are happening. Graduation and then baby girl #2 just a few short weeks after. I have so much to look forward to and all I can think about it getting to the month of May. But then I realise I have so much to be grateful for right now. I truly feel so blessed this time of year and I just have to say that sometimes we look so far into the future that we can't enjoy the wonderful moments we have right here and right now.
The last couple of months/weeks have been pretty crazy for our family. In November, Kory's job finished (landscaping has no work in the winters). we were scrambling to get by with what we had with ZERO income. We continued to pray for any job openings to come our way for Kory- especially since Christmas was quickly approaching. We tried hard to do what we should. I continued to study for finals and finish school and continue my semester with morning sickness in full force.We knew we just needed to be patient (way easier said than done). And then, we had one AMAZING week in December! Kory got a job that offered him to work from then on until April (which is right when his landscaping job will start up again) at about the same hourly wage. Then Kory and I both passed all of our tests and got the grades we were hoping for and both finished the semester off strong. We also had an ultrasound appointment, where we were able to find out that our little growing baby was a GIRL and totally healthy.

We also got a notice on our door that said somehow we had double paid for Rent one month so we didn't need to pay rent for 2 more months. My morning sickness was going away and I FINALLY wanted food again (not sure if thats a blessing now that I cant STOP eating :). We also recieved a few other things in the mail including gift cards and family greeting cards from so many friends and family that we love so much. Those totally lit up our eyes and helped us see that we are so blessed. It was an amazing week. I felt like everything was going to be okay and that we had done all that we could on our part. The next week, I still needed to take a math placement exam since it has been a few years since I've taken math. If I didn't get into the right math class then I would have to take a lower level class first and have my graduation be postponed for another semester. I figured we had so many good things happening to us that I'd pass right in. Well.. no such luck. I didn't pass, and my dream to be done with school in May was crushed. The test could be taken 3 times, so I didn't give up and I kept studying. Once again, I was 2 questions off and it just wasn't good enough. I was feeling SO hopeless. I spent my entire Christmas break studying for that test. I finally found some help at the BATC school and they helped me so much that I took the test one last time this last friday and PASSED above and beyond what I even needed to test into the class. I was incredibly grateful for finding help and getting into that class so that I can finish in May. I am learning patience all over again, and how we can't get everything we want right when we want them- even if we are doing all that we are suppose to. It is hard to learn that lesson, and I feel like I'm re-learning that lesson over and over in my life. But I know that we will be blessed for our efforts and that Heavenly Father watches out for us and knows what we want and need. We just need to be patient and allow time for things to fall into place. 
I know there are so many other blessings that we've received in the last few months, and that we can always find blessings in our lives- even when we aren't in desperate need, but I just wanted to share a few of the blessings I've found significant in the last few months. It has been a great motivator and booster for me since being pregnant and entering into another semester of school can be intimidating and discouraging to do at the same time. But hey- that's how I roll I guess. last time I was finishing up Hair school right before Hailee came. I guess I just like living on the edge and cutting things close. haha.

I am so excited to be finished with school, and for all the wonderful things coming this year. I truly am grateful for how school has (for the most part) worked in my life so that I can manage most things and still enjoy being a mom to my cute little Hailee. That has been a huge blessing in my eyes.
                                                       (Kory makes up for the rest)  :)
I know we'll have some ups and down's throughout it. I can always find bad things in my life- but this year- I hope we all make the goal to look for the good in ourselves and our lives! That is my New Years Resolution! 
                           Let the semester begin!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This is a great post Kristi! At such an overwhelming time in your life, how neat it is that you recognize and see/focus on the blessings you've received. I honestly don't know how people survive without the gospel!

Your Hailee is just the cutest thing ever. Baby girl #2 is going to be just as adorable.

Good luck this semester. I'm proud of you for sticking it through and finishing school. It's hard now but it would be so much harder if you hadn't.

Love you guys!!

Sarah said...

You're amazing Kristi! You do work very hard, and it shows. Thanks for the good example. I can't remember what you're studying...?? Well, good luck!